Teeth can be lost for a number of reasons, including decay, trauma, infection, or gum disease, and this loss can result in a whole host of problems, as well as impacting your natural smile. Dental implants offer one of the most effective and long-lasting ways to replace one or more missing teeth, providing a fixed alternative to removable dentures.
At ConfiDental Clinic, we recommend Dental Implants to replace missing teeth, as the treatment has both aesthetic and functional benefits for our patients. To learn more about Dental Implants and if this is a treatment that you are considering, get in touch with us today.
What are single tooth implants?
A dental implant is used when one or more teeth are missing. An implant is a procedure that involves the placement of a titanium cylinder inserted into your jaw. Once the implant heals into your bone, it acts as a new “root” for the crown to replace your missing tooth. Once installed, they allow the dentist to fit replacement teeth on them. Your new tooth, the crown, will look and feel like your real teeth giving you the freedom to function as normal again. For some people, conventional bridges and dentures can be uncomfortable. In addition, standard bridges involve procedures that impact the longevity of the adjacent teeth and therefore dental implants offer a healthier dental alternative to replacing missing teeth.
The benefits of single tooth implants
For single tooth implants, it is not necessary to prepare or grind adjacent teeth to keep the new tooth/teeth in place. The main requirement is to have healthy gums, adequate bone to support the implant, and excellent oral hygiene habits. However, you will be guided about this in detail at your initial assessment. If you choose single tooth implants, then you will enjoy the following benefits:
- Preserve the bone and gums
- Keep the jawbone healthier
- Restore the mouth’s natural function
- Increase oral comfort
- Look like natural teeth
- Easy to brush and clean
- Improve your bite, speech and comfort
- Long-term treatment
- Improve overall oral health
- Restore your smile
- Boost your confidence
- Affordable treatment
What to expect before and during treatment?
Single tooth implants may take several phases to be completed. When you visit the dentist these are the following stages:
- The dentist will examine your mouth thoroughly and discuss your medical and dental history as well as all the risks and benefits of the treatments. We will also discuss the length of treatment and the options that will best suit your individual requirements.
- A 3D scan may be requested to assess the quality and quantity of bone available and this will be discussed with you and helps to finalise the ideal implant plan for you.
- Once the plan has been discussed and agreed upon, you will be asked to book in for the first implant procedure. If bone grafting is required or sedation is requested, this will be identified and arranged
- On the day of implant placement, you will be provided with some pre-operative instructions like rinsing your mouth out with an antibacterial mouthwash and a dose of antibiotics
- Your mouth will be numbed using a local anaesthesia
- The dental implant will be gently placed under the gum line into the underlying bone as per the plan discussed with you previously
- After placing the implant, your dentist may add an abutment (a healing post) to the top of the implant to act as a protective barrier and allow the gum to heal
- The gums are sutured over the implant and the implant remains to integrate to the bone. This process may take several months. Your implant dentist will guide how long they feel it will take to heal based on what they see.
- After healing, when you re-visit our team, we will make an incision in the gum and re-expose the top surface of the implant
- An electronic measurement is taken to record how well the implant is attached to the bone before making the final supporting teeth
- Digital 3D Impressions are then taken to prepare properly fit the final teeth in the laboratory
- The digitally made implant teeth will then be fitted and connected to the implants and you will be shown how to clean and maintain the area
- You will be reviewed after a month to ensure that you are getting on well with the implants
- Regular follow up is advised also to help with the longevity of the final implant and teeth
What to expect after single tooth implants?
Once the treatment is completed, you will be advised to maintain good oral hygiene. The following will also be advised:
- You may experience short term bruising, swelling, and mild bleeding
- Discomfort for the initial few days
- Take prescribed medications regularly
- Avoid smoking, and taking alcohol for at least a couple of weeks
- Don’t eat hard or sharp food for the initial few days
- Have a soft diet for 1 week
- Avoid using colourful foods and beverages
- Brush your teeth twice a day
- Floss at least once a day
- Visit your dentist regularly
How much do single tooth implants cost?
The cost of single tooth implants varies depending on individual needs and the number of implants. On average, the cost of single tooth implants ranges between £2000 and £3500.
Missing teeth can have an impact on your function and oral health as well as your smile. Therefore, book an appointment with our experienced implant dentists to discuss how we can help you achieve the results you want.